The Winning Discovery Call Class with Forest Linden
In this Podclass, I am joined by the founder of Claritylab, Forest Linden, who shares his insight and unpacks 11 pillars to conducting a winning discovery call that turns prospects into ideal clients.
[0:00] – Opening thoughts
[1:03] – Introduction to Forest Linden
[2:58] – Forest tells his “Freedom Story” and describes his business lifestyle.
– [7:01] – The benefits of Forest’s flexible schedule
[8:19] – Introduction to Topic: “The 11 Pillars of Winning Discovery Calls”
– [9:33] – The background to these concepts
[10:44] – Pillar #1: Come from a place of compassion and wanting to help people.
[11:36] – Pillar #2: Be authentic and as transparent as possible. (i.e. Be a good person.)
– [13:28] – The importance of confidence and natural conversation
[14:19] – Pillar #3: If you get nervous about calls before you do them, focus on what you can give, not what you can get.
[14:31] – Pillar #4: Put your prospects’ needs to solve a problem above your need to make a sale or get hired.
[18:13] – Pillar #5: If possible, tell stories about how a client has worked with you and how your work with them allowed their business to transform.
[19:19] – Pillar #6: Give people a feeling sense of what it’s like to work with you.
– [20:08] – The impact of storytelling
[21:44] – Pillar #7: If you’ve been working with people long enough to have a good awareness of what their major objections will be, find ways to address them in the call.
[24:52] – Pillar #8: Paint the picture of negative situations you can help people avoid (loss aversion).
– [27:42] – Craig shares a real-life example of this pillar in action.
[28:28] – Pillar #9: If possible, give something away for free.
– [31:32] – Concerns and advice regarding free giveaways
[34:22] – Pillar #10: Be willing to say no when a client is not a good fit.
[35:51] – Pillar #11: If there’s a way to do this where it’s authentic, let people know that there’s a reason they should hire you sooner rather than later. (i.e. Create some authentic tension).
[38:33] – Recap of the 11 Pillars to a Winning Discovery Call
[39:30] – The importance of being a good person
[41:01] – Closing thoughts
Resources and tools discussed in this episode:
Clarity Lab: https://claritylab.co/
LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK:
– Leave a note in the comment section below.
– Ask a question at [email protected]
SUPPORT THE FREELANCE PODCLASS!
– Leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews help our podcast to impact so many other freelancers around the world.
– Subscribe on iTunes if you haven’t already!